We picture a world where everyone has access to a beautiful outdoor space and an edible garden.
LandKind was founded in 2015 with the desire to transform the outdoors into beautiful, sustainable, and productive spaces, through landscape design and urban agriculture. In fact, our specialty is combining both into one seamless design, so that our clients can enjoy their land, as well as eat from it.
Our unique design solutions and educational programs are created for residences and condos, school and youth centers, hospitals and senior centers, offices and corporations, and restaurants and hotels.
Abbagail McRuer, BLA, CUSA
Abbagail's love for design and the outdoors started early in life. With a family of graphic designers and gardeners, and a weekend cottage affectionately named “The Land”, she not only found her calling but also the found name of the company. Combining her love for the outdoors and design, she graduated with a Bachelors of Landscape Architecture from the University of Guelph and continued her education and obtained her certificate in Sustainable Urban Agriculture. Abbagail has written many industry articles and has been interviewed several times about the importance of growing your own food. She hopes to close the gap between where food is grown and where it is eaten, through sustainable design. She is an Associate Member of the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects and is in the process of getting her stamp.
Mackenzie McRuer, CCT
Mackenzie comes from a family of entrepreneurs. His creative capabilities come from growing up surrounded by artistic people and as a result learned to express himself through music writing and performance. However, it was his ability to creative problem solve, that drew him to the building process. As a result, he followed his passion and graduated with a Certificate in Carpentry Skills from Flemming College and formed a small contracting group called ‘Sons for Hire’ that does renovations, building, and landscaping. Not only are Mack and Abby a match made in heaven as husband and wife, but also as business partners in LandKind. Mackenzie is also on his way to getting his full carpentry certification.
- Plant Trainers Podcast | Landscaping – 2015
- Guinea Pigging Green Podcast | Growing Food – 2015
- Land8 | Urban Agriculture Series
- Land8 | 'Most Popular Blog Post' of the Year – 2013
- International Network for Urban Agriculture | Urban Agriculture Firms Leading the Way -2013
- City Farmer | Urban Agriculture Firms Leading the Way – 2013
- Base Landscape Architecture 'Press' | Urban Agriculture Firms Leading the Way – 2013
- The Dirt: American Society of Landscape Architects | News Highlights – 2013
- Planetizen | The Urban Agriculture Avant – 2013
- World Landscape Architect | This Week in Landscape, June 30 – 2013